Employment Type: Full-time
Deadline – Sunday 22nd November
Job function: Head Of The School Of Tourism, Leisure And Hospitality
About Arden University
We are a private UK University offering blended and online distance learning programmes, based in the UK with centres across the UK and Germany. We are an aspirational University with ambitious plans to disrupt the HE sector through our passion for innovation. Having already earnt a strong reputation for delivering outstanding impact, convenience and relevance to our Graduates and Employers our vision is to become the first choice University for career-focused lifelong learners worldwide.
There has never been a more exciting time to join Arden University, as we expand into new disciplines and locations. We have launched our 5-year Strategic Plan, which signals our clear intention to be a “digital first” university that delivers an outstanding experience to students around the globe, whatever their career stage.
Interested? Then read on to hear more about our exciting opportunities.
Salary £65,000 – £70,000
The Department & Role
The Head of the School of Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality provides academic leadership for the programmes within the School (modules and content) and is responsible for achieving targets in: student recruitment and student outcomes and satisfaction (internal and external surveys). Heads of School are accountable for the P&L for the School and will be expected to deliver substantial growth via innovative programmes from idea generation through to design and implementation, working closely with industry partners, employers and professional bodies to ensure currency of content and that Arden graduates are “work-ready”. A positive role model to their peers and students, they will also line manage the academic team within their School and be responsible for recruitment of academic staff. They will undertake teaching and related duties on programmes relevant to their area of expertise. Heads of School are also expected to represent the University and its values, promoting the School at external and internal events.
Key Activities and Responsibilities
- Accountable for high levels of student outcomes (as outlined in skills/attributes section above) on all programmes within the School.
- Ensure all aspects of learning, teaching and assessment within programmes are carried out to the highest of standards, supporting successful outcomes for students; that students experience innovative, research informed and engaging teaching.
- Ensure high levels of student satisfaction and engagement (measured by participation in and outcomes of internal and external surveys) on all programmes; work to build productive relationships with the School’s student body.
- Ensure the School’s academic portfolio has a strong, embedded professional orientation which supports students’ work-readiness, digital capabilities and ability to gain graduate level employment.
- Provide academic leadership for teams within the School.
- Support and deputise for the Dean, as required.
- Generate new income for the Faculty through growth in student numbers, home and international and new programmes; be responsible for budgets, and P&L.
- Develop an effective plan for research, consultancy and scholarly activity within the School working closely with employers, the Dean and the Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching.
- Develop effective links, including accreditation, with appropriate external professional bodies for the School’s programmes.
- Represent the Faculty and University effectively at local, regional, national and international levels with a particular focus on driving the profile of the Faculty with business and industry Oversee quality assurance processes delegated to Faculty level, ensuring that high levels of academic quality and standards are maintained, including the ongoing close monitoring of student outcomes and related actions/reporting.
Skills and Experience Required
- Masters’ level and/or Professional qualification relevant to the School.
- PhD or working towards one (Preferred).
- Excellent digital capabilities and skills.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build positive relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- A successful track record of leading undergraduate and/or postgraduate programmes and in ensuring relevant programmes deliver high levels of student outcomes in key metrics (continuation L4-5, progression through levels, completion of awards, degree classification, graduate employment) and student satisfaction (internal and external surveys).
- A clear vision of academic excellence within Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality programmes.
- Proven track record in leadership and people management skills, encompassing managing high-performance professionals, team building, direction setting and change management.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and thrive in a commercially oriented context.
- Experience of delivering growth in student numbers.
- Experience of successful budget and resource management and ideally P&L responsibilities.
- In-depth understanding of the professional development market within Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality and related challenges.
- Established professional and external networks and experience of effective collaboration in a Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality context.
- Proven experience of building strong relationships and engaging productively with a diverse range of stakeholders in the public, private, corporate and voluntary sectors.
- Proven ability to represent the Faculty and University effectively in local, national and international arenas.
- Proven ability to harness and develop the talents of their team to stimulate an innovative and exciting environment for teaching, learning, research and industry-focused activities.
- Credibility in a relevant academic discipline.
- A track record of scholarly work, consultancy and/or relevant professional experience at an appropriate level.
- Demonstrable understanding of the contribution that a School of Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality can make to professional contexts through both its taught programmes, partnerships and research and scholarly activity. Experience of working outside the HE sector in a corporate, SME or entrepreneurial environment, in an area relevant to the School.
- A demonstrable understanding of the way big data and digital technologies are impacting upon the sectors and industries relevant to the School.
- In-depth understanding of the current challenges to the HE sector and how these can be addressed in the context of the School.
If you have the senior academic leadership skills coupled with leading industry experience and relish challenges, then we are excited to hear from you. This truly is a great opportunity to progress your career as we build the school from scratch. We are seeking individuals with the ambition and drive to help shape and grow our University.
We value all our colleagues and invest in their development. We also have a great colleague benefits package that you can tailor to your families needs. This includes;
- 30 days annual leave
- Christmas closure
- Private Medical Insurance
- Pension Plans
- Health cashback schemes and much more
To embark on a career at Arden, start the application today.
We are really excited for you to view our new TV advertisement which went live in July 2020, and may help you to understand more about Arden University.
To apply click Here